Friday, June 23, 2006

 

Mountain Blog

Riding to the mountains in the back of a pickup truck with the wind blowing on my face was one of the most wonderful experiences during the trip so far. The mountains were beautiful and showed the power of God. When we arrived at the mission we were ready to work, but unfortunately it began to rain, and rained hard. A few of us prayed and others did whatever work they could do inside. Five minutes later, as soon as we finished praying, I looked out the window and saw the sun shining. The sunset was beyond words and I could only look in awe of God. When night arrived, every cloud was gone, and the sky sparkled with millions of stars. Never before in my life have I seen so many stars and so clearly. I could’ve laid outside and looked up at them at God’s marvelous creation all night.

We set to work at last early the next day, with a gentle breeze and bright blue sky overhead. We split into teams assigned to different tasks; we made VBS shelters, applied stucco, made a concrete floor, did electrical work, and dug some dirt. No matter how tired we were, we kept going. God gave us the strength and endurance.

Many blisters, sore backs, and worn out arms later, we did it all over again the next day. Thankfully, we were rewarded that evening with an outreach dinner. A few of us went out to invite the villagers to the dinner earlier that day. The service was touching. I couldn’t understand all that was being said, but I could see the joy of God in their faces and voices when they sang. Some of the team members shared their testimonies and all of us got up to sing for the congregation. After the service we served them hotdogs and chips. I never thought anyone could enjoy hotdogs so much, but the people consumed them all within seconds. When everyone had finished eating, us girls brought out the friendship bracelet and lanyard supplies and taught the girls and women there to make them. I didn’t know how to make bracelets and origami so I set out to watch the guys play baseball. Being in a skirt it would’ve been difficult to play. With not much to do, I walked with Pastor Ramon, writing down all the tasks that needed to be finished at the mission--there’s a lot to do for everyone who’s coming next year! He has such a vision and I was amazed at his determination and compassion he felt towards this church and the people. The image that will be stuck in mind forever is a young boy’s face light up when Danny gave him his baseball glove. To see that much joy in such a small and simple gesture makes all the pain and work worth it. It was a reminder of why we’re here; to serve God and these people. The next day we all woke up and hopped back on the trucks to head down the mountain.

Submitted by Liz and Erin

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?